Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Routine. Find it.

I find myself being very quick-witted with the students while I'm teaching. If a student stands up while I'm TRINE TO WORK, I don't say-
"Katie- Why are you up?"
Instead, there's a 3 part series in each "quip" I shoot.
"Nathan. There is no reason for your to be out of your seat right now. Find your seat and put your bottom in it."
In this phrase, I am using the student's name- making it personal.
I am restating the direct instructions of "sitting in your seat" and finally, I throw in a quick phrase that will make the class kind of giggle because it's not the STANDARD instruction- instead it's a phrase where I used the word bottom and it was pretty appropriate. Bottom is a keyword for children to recognize as serious. How often do little kids use the word "bottom"? That's right. Only adults ever tell you to sit down. Bottom- use it.

I have got to get myself in more of a routine, lately. I got the whole "wake up" and "go to bed" down, but I need to consistently get the mail, take out the trash, write in my blog, and pay all the bills. That last one I just listed is mainly the important one. I just convince myself so easily that I have other things that I'd rather do...I'm really good at convincing myself. So, that's a question I'll ask the next time I can find the consistency to post in my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What?